The Pike and San Isabel National Forests today entered into Stage 1 and 2 fire restrictions, respectively. This means that certain activities with a high potential to start fires are prohibited or restricted. The restrictions will remain in place through December 31, 2019 or until they are rescinded.
The Pike National Forest (Pikes Peak, South Park, and South Platte Ranger Districts) is now in Stage 1 Fire Restrictions, which prohibit the following:
1. Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire, campfire, or stove fire (including barbecues and grills) unless the fire is in constructed, permanent fire pits or fire grates within developed recreation sites. Exceptions: the use of portable stoves, lanterns using gas, jellied petroleum, pressurized liquid fuel or a fully enclosed (sheepherder type) stove with a ¼” spark arrester type screen is permitted.
2. Smoking, except in an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.
3. Operating a chainsaw without a USDA or SAE approved spark arrester properly installed and in effective working order, a chemical pressurized fire extinguisher with a minimum rating of 2A kept with the operator, and one round point shovel with an overall length of at least 35 inches readily available for use.
4. Welding or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame except in cleared areas of at least 10 feet in diameter and in possession of a chemical pressurized fire extinguisher with a minimum rating of at least 2A.
5. Using an explosive.
6. Discharging a firearm, air rifle, or gas gun except any person possessing, on their person, a current and valid State hunting license, and who is actively involved in hunting during an open season pursuant to that license.
7. Persons with a valid Forest Service permit or contract specifically authorizing the otherwise prohibited act or omission may be eligible for an exemption from Prohibitions #1, #3, #4, and #5.
The San Isabel National Forest (Leadville, Salida, and San Carlos Ranger Districts) is in Stage 2 Fire Restrictions, which are stricter. All of the above items apply, except no fires at all are allowed in the San Isabel National Forest.
Critical fire weather conditions have arrived, and we ask for the public’s help to minimize any starts that could result in high-intensity, uncontrolled wildfires. Go to our website for information about fire danger, restrictions, and more: https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/psicc/fire.
· Know before you go - understand and follow all fire bans, restrictions and closures. Visit www.coemergency.com for current fire restrictions across Colorado.
· Information on fires less than 100 acres can be found at http://psiccfireinfo.blogspot.com/.
· Information on fires larger than 100 acres can be found at https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/.